The mission of KR Foundation is to address the root causes of climate change and environmental degradation. Read more about our mission here.
As a philanthropic foundation, KR Foundation typically engages in areas where neither governments nor markets actors seem to have incentives to act. Not restricted by short-term considerations and profit concerns, KR Foundation engages in non-profit activities with positive impacts on our climate and environment.
KR Foundation prioritises communication and advocacy activities within our programme areas but may also consider proposals in other areas that meet our general criteria for funding and that have high potential for impact. Please see how to apply here.
Please note that KR Foundation does not fund local and community-based activities unless they are truly scalable and have a clear international perspective. Proposals focusing on local development activities will not be considered.
General criteria for funding
KR Foundation address root causes of climate change and environmental degradation, through supporting activities that:
- provide scalable solutions with a clear international perspective and a significant impact
- have a holistic and interdisciplinary approach, including activities that aim to change mind-sets and behaviour
- have convening power, facilitate cooperation between key stakeholders and help to link existing research and knowledge to action
- help catalyze desired political processes at an international level and support new leadership (top-down approach) as well as activities aiming to communicate and create awareness (bottom-up approach)
- take risks and potentially contribute to transformative and systemic change, and challenge conventional wisdom by exploring alternative and creative approaches
KR Foundation does not support:
- Issues other than climate change and environmental degradation
- For-profit organizations and activities
- Candidates for political office
- Individual government organizations at the national, regional or local level, including provincial and city administrations
- Individuals, e.g. scholarships
- Capital construction or endowment campaigns
- Establishing new organizations, institutes or centres with KR Foundation as sole funder
- Local and community-based activities that are not scalable and that do not have an international perspective, including development projects in developing countries
- Clean energy solutions and market ready solutions, including energy efficiency in buildings
- Nature conservation projects, including projects focused on single species
- Forests, including conservation, afforestation, and reforestation
Size of grant
KR Foundation’s grants typically range from DKK 2m to DKK 5m with a duration of up to approx. 3 years.