The 70by30 project aims to enable informed decision making on climate mitigation at all levels of society
The 70by30 project
The Danish government, supported broadly by the Parliament, businesses, civil society and citizens, has adopted an ambition to reduce GHG emissions by 70 pct. by 2030 as Denmark’s fair contribution to achieving global decarbonization goals. This is one of the most ambitious climate goals in the world and it requires a massive collective effort that involves all parts of the Danish society. And it is an ambition that the VELUX Foundations would like to contribute to.
In the last decades, the VELUX Foundations have supported climate and environmental initiatives in Denmark and internationally. With the 70by30 project, the climate activities across the VELUX Foundations are given a significant boost.
The 70by30 project is designed to support the realization of the Danish 70 pct. reduction goal in 2030 and aims to enable informed decision making on climate change mitigation at all levels of society to catalyze the necessary, accelerated climate action. And it will do so on a national scale for global inspiration and replication.
The precondition for a successful, green transition of the Danish society is a strong and independent knowledge base, appropriate and effective policies across all sectors, the creation of a cadre of change agents to ensure lasting impacts, and carefully tailored communication efforts to paint a sound and positive vision for both the transition and the future. The five initiatives in the 70by30 project address these themes, as well as the broad corporative approach that is needed to achieve the ambitious danish GHG reduction goal.
The five initiatives
- Getting the data right: New global datasets and independent insights will be developed as basis for the ‘nextgeneration whole-of-economy’ and full value chain centered climate policies as they must unfold over the next decade.
- Knowledge in action: A markedly enhanced effort in deepening knowledge and developing appropriate policies will help ignite critical and timely action in critical sectors through new knowledge and co-creation with key stakeholders in society.
- Effective climate communication: A tailored climate communication and engagement effort built based on the new data and knowledge will engage the best global expertise in developing and applying new approaches to messaging and communication in a Danish and Nordic context.
- Boosting climate education: New teaching materials and teaching processes will help create a new generation of climate competent youth that will be decisive for lasting impacts in every corner of society driving new demands, behaviors and lifestyles.
- Involving for climate impact: The transition will require a population that is receptive to disruptive change. The ability to engage the society at large will benefit from new and science-based methods of involving and engaging citizens at large.